Meet Jaclyn Hachey, a JCI makeup grad, talented artist, and Nick Jonas fan. Her love for Special FX makeup has landed her a spot in IMATS Vancouver 2015′s Battle Of The Brushes competition in the Character Prosthetic category. Jaclyn was also the runner up from last year’s competition so you can expect a lot of action from her!
- What inspired you to get into makeup artistry? I was always a very creative person and have always been involved with the arts, so I guess you could say I come by it honestly. I knew I could never have a 9-5 desk job and one day I got an opportunity to do Special FX makeup on a short film (first film experience ever) and I was hooked ever since. After that I knew I wanted to go to school to gain further knowledge in Special FX and Prosthetics so I moved to Vancouver.
- Which celebrity would you like to work with in the future? The list is long for this one so I’ll narrow it down to two: Jennifer Lawrence and Johnny Depp. Jennifer because I think she is just amazing and it would be a blast to work with her. Johnny because to do a crazy character makeup on him but then to watch him bring the character to life and take it to another level would be absolutely incredible.
- Do you have a favorite makeup look that you enjoy doing? My favorite makeup look…hmm…I honestly don’t think I have one. Reason being is that I love all different makeups, from smoky eyes and flawless skin to oozy bloody effects to crazy monster makeups. They all have their different challenges but are all amazing in the right setting, which is why I love makeup artistry because it’s so diverse.
- Name 3 makeup products that you can’t live without. Beauty:
- MAC Pro Longwear Concealer (literally sleep in a bottle)
- Benefit “They’re Real” Mascara (falsies in a bottle)
- Anastasia Brow Dip Pomade (nuff said)
- Illustrator Palettes (…duh)
- Third Degree (can pretty much do ANYTHING with this)
- 99% Alcohol (because you literally can’t do anything without it.
- Describe an industry trick that you think everyone should know about. Fake it ‘til you make it. It’s true though. No one is going to be holding your hand in the industry so you have to put on a suit of confidence and do your job to the best of your ability and knowledge. Also never say “no” to a skill that is asked of you, unless it’s obviously dangerous or illegal if you try to without the proper training. Example: Hair. I’ve been asked so many times to do hair on set, I’m not a licensed hair stylist, but I have the basic knowledge of hair styling so I say “yes” and through that I get so many other jobs to do hair and makeup.
- What convinced you to choose to attend JCI’s Makeup program? I’m from Edmonton, AB and there is nothing out there for makeup school so I knew that I had to come to Vancouver. With that I also knew that it was not going to be cheap so I was looking for the most affordable, yet credible school. As soon as I looked into JCI I knew that this was the school I wanted to attend.
- Describe your favorite moment(s) while attending JCI. My favorite moment was when I was accepted to compete in IMATS Vancouver 2014 for Character/Prosthetics. I had a month left of school when I got accepted and it was a whirlwind of craziness leading up to that competition day. Everything that I had just learned in the past 10 months of school would be put to the test. The school was beyond supportive and when I took home that 2nd place trophy there were definitely happy tears in seeing how proud I made JCI and to see what I was actually capable of.
- What would you like to see happen with your career over the next 5 years? In the next 5 years I would love to be in a limo on my way to my first Oscar Nomination Award Show. Just kidding…maybe 10 years? Seriously though I would love to see my skills progress and to be involved with more high budget films, and if Faceoff ever comes to Canada I would love to compete on that show! One of my career goals is to win an Oscar for my makeup design but who knows how long that will take, but I’ll let you know when it does!
- Name 3 favorite songs currently on your playlist. I have about 13 playlists haha! But here is my top 3 today:
1. Jealous – Nick Jonas (…you’re too sexy, beautiful…ahhhh) 2. I Am Mountain – Gungor (you can’t help but sing along) 3. A Sky Full Of Stars – Coldplay (always on full blast in my car)
We’re proud to have 8 JCI students and graduates competing in this year’s Battle Of The Brushes. Be sure to cheer them on at IMATS Vancouver on May 30th with the Character Prosthetic category and May 31st with the Beauty Fantasy category.
JCI has been setting the standard in artistry and innovation for makeup and hair schools in Vancouver since 1978.