We caught up with JCI Fashion Grad Mahisa Nikvand in full stride as she prepares for a special introduction of her jewelry line, House of MahNik, at Gastown’s Alfie Italia this Mother’s Day weekend. Mahisa travels throughout Europe and the Middle East in search of inspiration, and creates unique pieces which complement your daily outfits with as much ease and grace as they embellish your ensemble for that special occasion.
- What inspired you to start your own jewelry line? It was always my dream to start my own fashion accessory line and I finally did it!!!
- Describe House of MahNik’s style in three words. Cool, Timeless, Middle-Eastern.
- What convinced you to choose JCI’s Fashion Business & Creative Arts program? Good rating on Internet and I loved the ambience of school when I came in the first time- lofty, edgy and convenient.
- Describe your favourite moment(s) while attending JCI. Joan’s Fashion Buying class!!
- What is the most important thing you learned at JCI? Hmm…when I look back they taught us a lot of important things which I didn’t take seriously back then but, honestly, if you do pay attention in class they really do teach you the whole process of starting your own line!!!
- Which celebrity would you like to see rocking your jewelry? I could totally see Johnny Depp rocking my unisex collection.. teehehe. For females, I’d say Kate Moss, Rosie Huntington and Kendall Jenner.
- What would you like to see happen in your career over the next 5 years? In terms of my product, I want to expand my jewelry line and add funky clutches, statement T-shirts and fedora hats. In terms of my company, I want to be more internationally recognized.
- What advice do you have for anyone starting their own business in the fashion industry? I think starting is the blurriest and the hardest part. I say its ok if you’re are not sure what’s going to happen- just start and everything eventually makes sense.
- Who would you love to collaborate with in the future? I love paintings and I would love to collaborate on a fashion product project with painter.
- What are your favourite 3 songs currently on your playlist? Hozier- Take Me to Church, Prayer In C (Robin Schulz Remix), Indila – Dernière Danse
Mother’s Day is already upon us, and you know that means it’s time spoil them!
For this upcoming Saturday and Sunday we have selected a very special fashion accessory designer, Mahisa Nikvand, to help you shower your mother, your mother figure, or just your loved one with amazing handmade unique jewellery pieces.
We invite you to discover her whole new spring collection over a glass of champagne… or two… or three—
Let’s celebrate this special day together!