April showers brings May flowers and … rainbows! Pastels and vivid colours have been seen everywhere over the past few years, but now the rainbow hair trend has us seeing ALL those colours swirled together! An artful combination of bright and muted pastels can be seen in strong horizontal patterns or vertical sections underneath in large panels to give new life to hair. Underlights have a more subtle approach to the rainbow hair trend- very reminiscent of coloured peek-a-boos from years past. Placed in the back underneath the shortest layer, underlights can be both bright and soft at the same time. A crown braid or top knot can really make this look pop!
For the very brave (as the rainbow trend is pretty bold) mixing both pastel and vivid colours take your pastel hair to another level! I like to start with a deeper, vivid root, then add more pastel as the colours shift. A horizontal pattern is great for longer hair as this way you an use more colours. The vertical pattern works well with bobs or longer hair when the colours are well-blended and seamless once the hair has been blowdried. I strongly recommend a wave or gentle curl to finish the look. A curling wand is easy to use and brings a softer look to this otherwise bold colour trend.
As a general rule, I always share my tips to keeping pastel and vivid hair looking fresh with all my clients, and I’ll share them with you, too:
- DO NOT wash daily! Every other day is ok, but the longer the better! Use dry shampoo in between washing
- DO only use sulphate-free shampoo, like Axis Vanilla Mint, this will prevent stripping of your colour
- DO use cool water when washing your hair. The cooler the water. the longer you keep your colour. This can prevent colours from bleeding together
- DO watch your heat settings! Use low heat for drying and styling- especially when using flatirons! Flatirons have such direct heat contact with each section that it can literally scald the colours right out of your hair!
- Do style your hair! Fashion colours look better styled, and it also makes your new do look more classy and trendy
Always, always, ALWAYS book in for a consultation beforehand and make sure to bring inspiration pictures- including pics of looks you DON’T like. Keep in mind that rainbow hair is a very creative colour and it’s good to let your stylist have some freedom of placement to give you that custom colour you’re craving this spring!
Hair Blog contributor: Elissa Wolfe, JCI HAD Instructor
Hair Stylists and Colour Technicians are sought out in some of the most exciting and fast-paced industries in the world including film, fashion, TV and photography. The Hair Art Design Program at JCI is the only accredited hair school in BC approved for a 520-hour curriculum. The program is 20 hours per week and offers the option of morning, afternoon, evening or weekend classes so that students can work at their current jobs while retraining for a new career. Our faculty is comprised of top working professionals and guest instructors whose focus is on the future of hair. This is a modern program providing a strong foundation of cutting and colouring techniques.