Keep calm and brace yourselves because the season of music festivals is upon us. Not sure how to prepare? We’ve got you covered with this guide of things to know before attending a music festival this summer!
Forget the Flower Crowns
It’s been a fun few summers with the popularity of flower crowns, however, it’s time to grow out of this phase and dump those crowns. They were probably only $6.90 from Forever 21 anways! This doesn’t mean you can’t rock another alternative on your head— take the risk and dare to be different with your accessories.
Take a cue from Zendaya who pulled off a tiara headband like a queen. Head chains and headwraps are other creative substitutes to style with your look.
Comfort is Key
You will be walking a whole lot at a music festival, so packing comfortable shoes is a must. Plan your outfits ahead of time and bring appropriate footwear to avoid blisters or sore feet.
The Nike 5.0 Running Shoes are not just made for you fitness junkies. These multicolored sneakers can be styled with all your favourite festival looks. Converses, Adidas, Toms, low-heel booties, and gladiator sandals are other comfortable choices. Take a look below at some of the functional festival footwear that’s made for dancing and walking!
Protect Your Skin
Make sunscreen your best friend this summer because there’s absolutely no hiding from the sun at a music festival. Though wearing halter tops may be fashionable, sunburns are not. We’ve got you covered with IMAGE Skincare products, which are carried at the John Casablancas Institute Body Spa.
The Prevention+ Image physical barrier sunscreen with built-in UVA/UVB is an SPF booster and provides DNA protection. This product has an SPF factor from 30 to 50 and is available in a matte, hydrating and tinted moisturizer SPF.
“I prefer to use the daily tinted moisturizer because it looks as if you have makeup on your skin. This product also evens out your skin tone and because it has the moisturizer within the SPF product, there’s no need to pack another moisturizer along. It’s a 2 in 1 deal!” — Jenifer Sterling, JCI Body Spa Instructor
Carrying a small, chic backpack is the easiest way to carry all your essential products with you at a festival. Use our list to make sure you don’t forget anything!
- Wet Wipes/Hand Sanitizer: These will come in handy for sure! The heat may cause your makeup to melt and that’s when wet wipes come to the rescue. Hand sanitizers are also a must have at a festival where the bathroom situations are usually less than ideal. No one wants to end up getting sick so sanitize your hands often!
- Cash: Most food trucks at a festival will only take cash so bring enough to get you through the weekend.
- Water Bottles: Rather than spending your money on water, bring an empty one and fill it up inside. Most music festivals will provide free water stations for this purpose, so be sure to stay hydrated!
- Hats/Sunglasses: The IMAGE Skincare SPF products may be a festival savior, however in the hot summer sun, sunglasses and hats add extra protection for your skin.
- Portable Phone Charger: Keeping your phone charged means you will never miss a beat during the festival. Don’t let your battery die in the middle of your favourite band’s set or during that perfect instagrammable moment!
There you have it, the JCI guide to surviving music festivals. Now go out and enjoy yourself this summer!
(JCI) is widely recognized as the industry leader in providing job-ready training and has been setting the standard for artistry and innovation for over 30 years.
Established in Vancouver since 1978, JCI continues to stand behind top professionals in the areas of fashion, make up, hair and esthetics. With note-worthy careers as award-winning makeup artists, international fashion stylists, skilled spa technicians and cutting edge hairstylists, graduates of JCI continue to shine.
Supportive and positive learning practices provide students with the most beneficial educational experience.
Our faculty is comprised of leading industry professionals and guest instructors from various aspects of their respective fields. Our instructors and graduates continue to win awards and gain recognition for their work and contributions to their industries. Just 1 block down from the Waterfront Station, JCI sits surrounded by cafes, design studios, art galleries and photographers’ studios – the perfect place for students to absorb creativity and find constant inspiration.