According to WGSN, Vancouver is a city to watch for this year. With beautiful beaches like Spanish Banks and breathtaking landscapes that make for great outdoor activities including hiking and biking, there’s no denying that the city of Vancouver is a “true Pacific Northwest experience.”
What makes Vancouver a city unlike any other? We are known for our wellness and eco-friendly environment, outdoor activities, activewear, (yes, that includes Lululemon), and our unique mix of cultures. Areas such as Gastown, Granville Island, and the West End are known for their local seafood and produce, making the city every food bloggers paradise. With artistic walls found in the city, Instagram fashion and lifestyle bloggers also appreciate the beauty of Vancouver’s urban backdrops.
The city caters to many events and activities throughout the year including live sports and entertainment events, world-class shopping, beautiful and under-rated tourist destinations, and is known to be a great walking city with it’s clean, green, and safe environment.
“Vancouver is a city unlike any other. Wherever I look, I see water or mountains — or both. And everyone looks so healthy.” – The Daily Telegraph (UK)
FIVE LESSONS FROM VANCOUVER (via GB&D Magazine)
1. Make Food Accessible In order to increase food assets by 50% over 2010 levels, Vancouver has drafted a municipal food strategy; supported gardens, farms, and markets; planted public fruit trees; and purchased local food for municipal facilities. So far, it reportedly has increased food assets by 24%.
2. Invest in Alternative Transit Improving cycling and pedestrian safety has made the city more inviting on bike and foot, and Vancouver’s public transportation infrastructure—which includes bus, streetcar, and train—and ridership are well above rates in nearby Seattle and Portland.
3. Mandate Carbon Neutrality Updating the Vancouver Building Bylaw’s energy efficiency requirements and using price signals to reward energy efficiency in new and existing buildings are two strategies being considered to make all buildings constructed after 2020 carbon neutral. Currently, requiring all new building re-zonings to be LEED Gold is raising the bar for the building industry and bringing awareness to the public about what green buildings can be.
4. Aim for Zero Single-family homes are now served with a weekly compost service and garbage pickup every other week in an effort to reach zero waste. The city is also working to divert all recyclables from the waste stream and launching a building-deconstruction program.
5. Embrace Incubators Vancouver is home to innumerable technology accelerators, social hubs, and environmental incubators. These non-traditional approaches to business are sparking innovation and leadership, resulting in new ideas about urban sustainability.
“Vancouver is one of North America’s most under-rated tourist destinations. It is a modern, travel-friendly city with a unique mix of cultures. The relatively mild Pacific Northwest climate and an energetic restaurant and nightlife scene are other features that make this such an attractive city.” – LowFares.com
TOP SPOTS TO VISIT IN VANCOUVER
- Granville Island – the heart of Vancouver’s craft and foodie community
- Gastown – a neighborhood combining old with new, history with the way forward. A great place for food and local shops
- Robson Street – Vancouver’s best-known shopping district
- Stanley Park – magnificent and massive green oasis in North Vancouver
- Capilano Suspension Bridge – a thrilling suspension bridge crossing the Capilano River in the District of North Vancouver
- The Block – a Gastown staple, providing a curated collection of clothing since 1999
- Vancouver Art Gallery – the largest art gallery in Western Canada
- Woo to See You – concept retailer stocking rare garments from big and local designers
- Nouvelle Nouvelle – retailer stocking an impressive selection of contemporary brands
JCI has earned its internationally renowned reputation by taking a personalized approach to education.
Throughout each program of study, creativity and passion are celebrated to ensure that every student maximizes their potential and reaches their goals. Our small class sizes also reflect our commitment to quality education and fostering individual growth.
JCI not only focuses on providing the most cutting-edge and relevant training available, but it also takes your postgraduate success to heart. Program Directors and Industry Liaisons are on staff to assist your transition from initial concept to securing your dream job.
Our local and international connections give you unparalleled access to makeup, fashion, hair and spa opportunities, and we fully recognize that our reputation is defined by our graduates’ success. We’re searching for students that share our vision and will bring their unique style, commitment and drive to the table